I have a new favorite art find to share! I recently came across Splash of Color Painting and Coloring Book and immediately fell in love with its many pages of lush, black ink drawings. The artist behind Splash of Color is Liz Libré, a Brooklyn based mom of three and founder of the stationary line, Linda and Harriett. In her welcome to the book, she writes,
“As you color, I hope that these designs inspire you to slow down and take special note of things you may often overlook – like the pattern of a butterfly’s wing or a particular color combination you find attractive.”
Liz, you had me at slowing down and noticing the little things that make life beautiful. Isn’t this precisely what summer is all about?
The designs take inspiration from nature and motifs include plant life, animal life, and recurring patterns.
Liz’s drawings are whimsical and imaginative, perfect for encouraging creative thinking in young children (and adults too!).
Reasons I Love the Splash of Color Coloring Book
- The paper is thick and perfect for applying watercolor paint.
- The pages are removable so you can easily display a finished masterpiece.
- The designs are gorgeous and fun for artists of all ages.
- The finished painting (or “collaboration” as Liz the artist calls them!) makes a beautiful and thoughtful gift from your kiddo – my little guy gave these to his teachers at the end of the school year.
- The creative process of adding color to these designs should be relaxing and enjoyable – there are no rules and therefore, there are no mistakes!
Ways to Get Extra Creative with Your Kids
- Take your paints outside for inspiration!
- Experiment with blending – what happens when you mix two (or more!) colors together?
- Work with lots of materials to apply the paint – different size paint brushes are great, but don’t forget how much fun small foam rollers, q-tips, and sponges can be!
- Vary the way your medium is applied – who says you have to touch the paper at all?! Why not try splattering the paint with a flick of the wrist? Or squirting already mixed watercolor paint through a syringe?
- Don’t forget to have glue on hand – these pages could easily become the foundation for a gorgeous collage made up of bits of colored construction paper or tissue.
Everything You Need to Get Started
Get Splash of Color From Amazon HERE.
Get Crayola Washable Watercolors From Amazon HERE.
Get Crayola Big Paint Brush Set From Amazon HERE.
Get Melissa and Doug Kid’s Art Easel From Amazon HERE.
Need more ideas to keep the art fun going all summer long? Don’t forget to check out these other great posts:
- 10 Essential Kids Craft Supplies
- Children’s Art Books: 10 Gift Ideas for Art Loving Kids
- Matisse Paper Cut-Outs: Easy Art Project for Kids
Lauren Heller Art Consultant is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.